Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Week 6 Report


School is back in session! Most of the older kids are already gone for school by the time I get to the orphanage around 9AM. They walk to government-sponsored schools around the city. They come back around 2PM in their cute uniforms and either salute(boys) or curtsy(girls) to me and say, "Good afternoon!" I guess that's what they're taught to do in school, because it never happened before when they were on holiday, and now it happens every day!

The little ones, basically grades three and lower, are taught at the orphanage. Two classes meet on the veranda of the dining hall and one meets in the dining hall. The six and under class is chaotic because some of the toddlers are supposed to be in school and some aren't, but they don't know which category they fall into, so sometimes they come in, and sometimes they run around outside, and sometimes they just lean their head down on the table and go to sleep. There's also a deaf class, both for the deaf orphans and deaf children from the town. It's my favorite because it's QUIET!

They have no qualms about hurting anyone's self-esteem by holding them back. Mr. Peter held back two of his three school-aged children last year because he didn't think they worked hard enough. There are two teenage girls in the class with seven and eight year olds because they came from French-speaking countries. You can imagine how much they enjoy that!

There's no principal's office, no detentions, no time-outs, just the cane. The teacher for the youngest class wanted me to be the disciplinarian one day. I wasn't real thrilled about that -- I didn't come halfway around the world to beat children. But she realized it was a bad idea when all of the kids just laughed at the white lady with the cane and made more noise by yelling at me to hit them next . . . maybe I need to work on my caning technique?

So they're working hard, learning every day. Much like American kids, they dream of being nurses and teachers and police officers in the future. They're off to a good start!

4 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiffany-
OK, so I had to do a little catching up. I haven't checked your blog since week 3. SORRY! Because of that, I need to refer to week 4. 2 pictures show up, and you refer to others (newborns the way it sounds). However, the two that are there are SO CUTE! I believe the one is David (you are holding), and the other is a little guy with a blue background, and he is in plaid. Jill and I decided you should just bring those two home with you, we want them! They are so cute!!! I just want to pinch their cheeks, and squeeze them!

It sounds like things are going well. You sound happy, I am sure there are those times, but you sound very happy!

We figured you may fall for a little one, and consider bringing one home. I didn't think that bringing home a husband would be a possibility as well! HAHA! Just kidding!

You take care, we think of you often! You are doing such a good thing!

Love, Jennifer, Dave, and Carter

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiffany -
Sounds like things are going well! When you get back, do you want to come to my school and practice your caning techniques?
Krystal

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tiffany! I see my sister already covered our recent discussion. They are adorable, I must say. Think they would enjoy Wisconsin?

That cane would have been handy when Mike was in school. From what I hear, he took up permanent residence in the principal's office! I think he was even kicked out for a week.

The leaves are turning and college football is in full swing here. We're going to a pumpkin patch today. The game plan is to buy a bunch and paint them. Do we know how to party on a Saturday or what? Mike is not thrilled, but some friends from Chicago are driving up, so he'll play along.

Take care! Keep the updates coming!

Love, Jill & Mike

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiffany,
What wonderful pictures. You are doing great! Yes, those babies are so precious. Someday you'll just laugh at your worries about babies chucking up their food on you....... lolrof
We had a nice celebration for Lorraine's retirement.
Miss you. Women's retreat this weekend, will think of you and send our prayers!!
Love,
Wini

 

Post a Comment

<< Home